Sunday, September 19, 2010

One person's trash = another person's treasure...

Missoula is a unique town/city. One of the best things about most Missoula people is they always seem to want to save and sustain the environment. We are a give and take society with a lot of extra help for people who might need it.
"Mongo the process of putting things out for others." I was walking by the Food Bank on Third Street a couple of years back with four of my friends and they noticed this couch that was sitting out front and they wanted it in their house. So, the four of us carried the couch from the Food Bank all the way to their house, which across from the Job Service on Third and to this day they are still getting use out of that same couch. That is when I really realized that people left things out so others could take them freely. I really didn't know that this same scenario would be called "mongo", but I knew that it existed places, especially in Missoula. There is mongo on almost every block of downtown. I'm not sure if people don't want to take their trash to the dump or just want someone else to get use out it, could be both, but as I said, "give and take." In that case in the classifieds of the Missoulian you can find out what is free and where to find it. Also, there is missoula.craigslist.org, which a lot of people use to find rides, computers, bikes, clothes, cars, etc. So, those are both great places where you can find things here and there.
I appreciate mongoing as much as any other person struggling financially. It is helpful for people in an economy like this. I have never put things out for other people, but I have donated some things. I just haven't conjured up that many items yet, so once I am a junior in college maybe I will have some things to put out there for you. I see a lot of people who redecorate or refurnish getting rid of perfectly good items. This article by Robin Nagle (http://believermag.com/issues/201009/?read=interview_nagle)will help people see the light on how much garbage is actually being wasted by us. People, we could help someone else out and help the earth out at the same time, wow how neat is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment